Monday, March 7, 2022

Milestone

I've reached a milestone in my life today. It was on this day sixty long years ago that I came into this world. I've written before about how as a boy of about five or six years old, I would watch pro wrestling matches in our old black-and-white television (this was around 1967-1968). The explosive action on the screen, the thrilling battle between good (the babyface) and evil (the heel), the big, strong, beefy bodies of the wrestlers...I found it all so fascinating and that fascination has stayed with me ever since. I still watch a lot of "classic" matches from the 1950s-1960s (thank you, YouTube!) and enjoy the simplicity of the matches and the wrestlers' gear (just trunks and boots most of the time). Here's a look back at some of my favorite wrestlers from the 1960s as well as some magazine covers from the year I was born, 1962.

I took my nom de plume from my favorite
wrestler of the 1960s, Bruno Sammartino.

Cowboy Bill Watts. Once Sammartino's tag
team partner, the two had a vicious feud after Watts 
turned heel. Sadly, I haven't been able to find a 
video of one of their matches on YouTube. 

The Lisowski Brothers, Stan (left) and Reggie.
Reggie is better known as The Crusher.
He and Dick The Brusier were my favorite 
tag team of the 1960s.

Edouard Carpentier. For such a huge, 
muscular man, he was amazingly quick
and nimble.


Mark Lewin. He looked like a movie star and 
was tough in the ring. His later personas (Maniac
Mark Lewin, Purple Haze) were bizarre
and never appealed to me.






Me at 60. Where will my fascination
with pro wrestling take me next?

17 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! You look great at 60! Thank you for this blog — it’s a continual source of entertainment and joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hypersmash Studios! Glad you're enjoying BCoW.

      Delete
  2. Whoa, nice bicep. Nice mask too. Happy birthday and keep up the great work on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Love what you do on your blog, too.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday! I'm 58, and I enjoyed watching pro wrestling on our black-and-white TV too. I always start my online day by checking your blog first. Thanks for the hours of great photos, information, and commentary. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!! Thank you SO MUCH for all you do !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Bruno! I would love to rip off your mask...
    Happy Birthday

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRUNO!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday (from a contemporary), with thanks for your hard work. Wishing you good health and happiness in the year ahead. Anon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hau'oli La Hanau - Happy Birthday from Hawai'i and a huge mahalo for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday sir! If you have any stills of Lord Athol Layton they'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete