Saturday, January 27, 2018

The Last Place I Expected To Find Pro Wrestling

If someone had told me before that there is a pro wrestling scene in Nepal, I probably wouldn't have believed them. That is, until I saw the pictures and videos. You see, I've always thought of the Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal as a peaceful, unassuming, developing South Asian country. I associate the country, especially its capital and largest city, Kathmandu, as a place where people go for spiritual discovery. One doesn't always see news about Nepal, unless perhaps it involves the Earth's highest mountain, Mount Everest, which is located there. But lo and behold, there is pro wrestling in Nepal and there are a handful of Nepalese wrestlers. While doing research for this blog,  I happened to come across the Nepal Ring Wrestling Association's Facebook page and boy, was I surprised. The promotion looks relatively new and I believe they have a few locals on their roster. As with a few other wrestling companies in Asia, the promoters often book foreign talent to compete against the homegrown talents. You have to be in awe of how scrappy and dedicated the local wrestlers are. In this outdoor match between Koju and Nuwakote Tiger, the wrestlers don't even seem to have "proper" locker rooms. There's even some WWE-style backstage drama that takes place before the match, complete with an underhanded attack on one of the competitors (in fairness, they do a pretty solid job of selling the drama). I love coming across stories like this. Knowing that professional wrestling has reached almost every corner of the world gives me hope that the spectacle we love will be around for a long, long time.












9 comments:

  1. A lot of BEEF here.. good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reporting on this, Bruno!

    I would not have guessed to find 'pro' rasslin' in Nepal either ... but they seemed to have pulled out the stops with lights, action and chair shots!

    And the beefy goodness just rocks! Viva Nepal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah this is great! I wanna know who the guy in the first photo is. Is the guy in the 3rd photo the same as in the first two?

    Also want to know who this is, who I'm guessing is from outside. His trunks say "JR" on the front in a hot spot:
    https://www.facebook.com/nepalringwrestlingassociation/photos/a.201406953549784.1073741828.201357083554771/241789569511522/?type=3&theater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you.
      The bearded guy in the first two is not the one in the third; the latter has a chest tattoo. I've found most of the wrestlers on Youtube, at the 3rd annual "Jungle Festival," which seems to include an India vs Nepal wrestling show, so I assume only half the wrestlers are Nepali, https://youtu.be/4Ng4UtLU568
      That vid leads to others. Unfortunately I can understand neither the written titles nor the announcer. Anon.

      Delete
    2. I take that back. Looking carefully, the first guy DOES have a pec tattoo. I just found the very match from which the picture comes:
      https://youtu.be/dt84JdiAa_w
      Anon.

      Delete
  4. I don't think pro wrestling is going anywhere. We love it on a primal level, gay or straight, man or woman. Seeing men in peak physical shape try and dominate one another is something we've been watching for centuries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope I haven't become fixated with this. The bald guy in the first pics is Parveen Solanki. The other guy in the first three is "Neil Pro-fighter." Both seem to be Indians working for IXW (Indian Extreme Wrestling). Neil's FB is https://www.facebook.com/man.dahiya.1
    There. I can stop obsessing now. Anon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow thank you so much for your obsession Anon! That is some good detective work there.

    Wow Neil is really hot. A lot of his posts are English too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome. I also came upon the Freak Fighter Wrestling FFW company, in which many of these guys wrestle. Here is their roster vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuQheulR1xA
      Anon.

      Delete