Friday, January 24, 2020

Flashback Friday: 1981 French Tag Team Match

There are a couple of things about this French tag team match from 1981 that I find interesting. First, and this is what grabbed my attention, the pre-match outfits of Jacky Richard and Guy Renault, i.e., matching studded and fringed black leather vests with chains, black leather caps, black wristbands, trunks, and boots. These outfits are giving me a very strong Tom of Finland or leatherbear vibe. I know black leather is the go-to look of the heel in pro wrestling, black being the color of the outlaw, but surely, they must have known even in 1981 that this look is what the S&M/bondage subculture is about. Second thing I found interesting about this match is the age of these four wrestlers. I checked when fan favorite Jean Corne was born, i.e., 1935, which puts him at 46 years old at the time this match was filmed. My guess is that the three other wrestlers in this match were also in their forties. I like the idea of strong, well-built middle aged men in the squared circle; these guys look like dads who wrestle on the weekends. If you're like me and enjoy watching old French matches, check out this link. (P.S. One more thing I like about this video is the dark, smoky arena where this match takes place. The black leather outfits look right at home in this seedy, underground venue.)
Guy Renault & Jacky Richard

Rene Cabellec (left) and Jean Corne














2 comments:

  1. Yikes!
    Apologies for the non sequitur, but New Japan Pro Wrestling has released, for free, two singles matches with BoW favorite Alex Coughlin and two with Clark Connors from its December 2019 tournament. Won't tell you how they turn out, because I haven't watched them yet, but excellent quality vids. Anon.
    Find them here:

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1lgJkpCx_0SMzsvrTCdxPw/videos?disable_polymer=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite leather wrestler turn on was THE MOD SQUAD (Mack and Jim Jefferson) as the outlaw motorcycle cops - jackets, glass reflective shades and gauntlet gloves!

    ReplyDelete